Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Stourbridge FC app


Stourbridge Youth Team - Match centre

Stourbridge FC
Mon 18 Apr 19:30 - Cup Full time



An excellent second half display brought the Youth team victory

After a 'Fergie' type half time roasting from manager Dave King, the Youth team produced an excellent 2nd half display to come from 2-0 down to win 5-2.
An average 1st half with a number of players below par left a mountain to climb in the 2nd half, but the boys again showed what they are made of and came through with flying colours.
Bilston had the first notable attack, breaking down the right only for the cross to be taken by Hayward with forwards coming in behind him.
Whelan had a chance after 5 minutes but took a little too much time and the shot was blocked. Brookes then played the ball wide to Bustin whose cross was met by Stringer but he headed wide and shortly afterwards Hobbs passed it through to Stringer who laid it off for Palmer to shot from 20 yards, this produced a good save from the Bilston keeper who pushed it over the bar. Bilston then cut in from the left and shot wide.
After 25 minutes Bilston took the lead with an excellent headed goal. The ball was played wide left and the resulting cross was met by a Bilston forward who headed over Hayward into the top corner.
4 minutes later and it was 2-0. The ball was played down the middle and Hayward, in his attempt to clear hit a Bilston for ward. The ball dropped kindly and he slid it into an empty net.
Bustin and Hobbs created 2 chances in as many minutes with crosses from the left, the first was cleared at the expense of a corner and the second headed wide by Stringer.
Just before half time it should have been 2-1. A long cross from Brindley fell for Palmer whose shot was blocked across the goal to Bustin whose shot went wide off the post with the goal gaping.
2 down at half time and whilst there were chances missed it was not the best performance of the season by a long way. Bilston tokk the 2 chances they had but otherwise Hayward in goal was not severely tested.
Whelan had 2 early shots blocked before Stour got back in the game after 55 minutes when Wedderburn rose above the defence and headed home a Bustin corner.
3 minutes later it was 2-2 when Hague slotted home a loose ball in the area.
This was much better and you could see the doubts come into the minds of Bilston as Stour pressed on.
Wedderburn and Stringer went narrowly wide from Bustin corners and Hague had a shot saved by the keeper.
6 minutes from time Stour broke through again to take the lead. A long Hobbs throw in was headed on by Hague and Stringer outpaced the defence to score. Bilston were now visibly out on their feet and right on 90 minutes Hague made it safe shooting home from a Bustin pass. Salt was rubbed into the wound 2 minutes into injury time when Brigdale, who had come on for Hague, laid his first touch of the ball square for Palmer to put into an empty net.

As one Bilston supporter put it to her team throughout the match, you have to BELIEVE. We certainly did.

Great stuff in the second half and a very good lift of morale for the next one on Wednesday.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors