Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Stourbridge FC app


Stour knocked out of FA Youth Cup in cruel fashion

11 months ago By Steven Coney

Despite leading late on, the Glassboys couldn't hold on and were knocked out in extra time.

The youngsters were fantastic in the first half and took the lead in the ninth minute as Tom Edmonds-Hill latched onto James Timmins’ brilliant long ball and nudged the ball past keeper Dequan Crockwell.

The impressive Edmonds-Hill almost doubled the lead five minutes later after being played in behind by Chad Carter but this time Crockwell was equal to his low effort.

And Vale were level in the 18th minute. Stour couldn’t quite clear their lines, the ball eventually fell to Jack Grimshaw and despite Peter Hawk saving his first effort, Grimshaw scored at the second attempt.

The visitors grew in confidence after the equaliser but Stour still created the best chances of the half.

Carter and Timmins both went close to forcing Edmonds-Hill’s free-kick in before Jake Brigdale missed his kick when well placed and Alex Cameron had a stinging effort saved.

It took just four minutes of the second period for Stour to go back ahead as a brilliant cross from Timmins in the 49th minute was well finished by skipper Jake Evans who had made a late run into the box.

Stour had Peter Hawk to thank then as the keeper made two fantastic saves within five minutes of the goal.

The League Two side applied more pressure in the last quarter of the game and despite fantastic Stour defending, they grabbed their second equaliser in the 85th minute.

Substitute Jack Wakefield found a yard of space and unleashed a thunderbolt from the edge of the area that gave keeper Hawk no chance.

Vale were reduced to ten men in the fourth minute of added time when Joshua Ryder received his second yellow for bringing down Cameron.

Cameron then could have won the tie with the last kick of normal time but his shot was well blocked by keeper Crockwell.

Despite being down a man, Vale took the lead for the first time five minutes into the added half an hour as Maxwell Chimenes turned well and fired in from close range.

Evans came close to taking the tie to penalties with an effort that just looped wide in the 113th minute but it wasn’t to be for Kieran Bustin's despite a fantastic performance against League Two opposition.

Stourbridge: Hawk, Taylor, Whitehouse (Sharp 46), Evans, Hancox, Timmins, Welch (Rossiter 103), Carter (Hunter 105), Brigdale, Cameron, Edmonds-Hill.
Subs not used: Holmes, Cooper.

Attendance: 353

Updated 18:37 - 2 Nov 2017 by Nigel Gregg

Where next?

Glassboys reach FA Youth Cup 1st Round Proper Goals from James Timmins and James Welch saw Stourbridge run out 2- 0 victors at Sutton Coldfield in the FA Youth Cup 3rd Qualifying Round.
Youth Team: AFC Telford cup-tie date agreed Our youth team will travel to AFC TELFORD on Thursday, 4th October (7.30 pm) in the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup. (READ ON)

Thu 25 Oct
Stourbridge Youth Team Lye Town
League 19:45
Mon 29 Oct
Stourbridge Youth Team Worcester City
League 19:45

Team sponsors


Club sponsors